The Notice of Election for the forthcoming Local Authority Elections is now available to view online by following the link below:-
Nomination Forms are also available from the Commissioners’ Office.
For more information about the Local Authority Elections, please contact us.
Why stand as a candidate in Braddan?
· Braddan is no longer “just” a rural parish
· It is strategically sited just outside the island’s capital
· Many businesses have relocated their headquarters to Braddan in recent years
· Braddan is the centre of a recent expansion of retail, light industry and technology
companies, attracted by the additional space and close proximity to Douglas, all of
which provide jobs, hugely benefitting the economy of the island as a whole
· Your decisions will be seen by a large proportion of the island’s population
· In the recently completed Area Plan for the East, more areas of the parish have been
earmarked for housing and commercial development, thereby increasing the population
and business opportunities even further
Opening of the 30 new local authority apartments for social housing at Mullen Doway, Union Mills in September 2021.
Strang Corner Field
Scheduled Opening in January 2023 – the new £6.8m Community Centre at Strang Corner Field, will include:-
· Coffee shop
· Multi-use sports hall
· Event venue
· Indoor soft play area
· Public playground
· Exercise track
You will have input into many aspects of the finished design and operation of the building.
· There are no qualifications required to be a Commissioner but we would like Commissioners to bring with them enthusiasm, their own unique perspective and knowledge and an interest in the community, whilst being aware of the bigger political picture.
· Being a Commissioner, although not a full time position, does still require a commitment to give your time freely to deal with the business of the authority, by preparing for and attending regular meetings, and to engage with the local community.
· All ages and backgrounds are welcome
· You do not have to live in Braddan to be a candidate, but to be eligible to stand for election you must be on an electoral register for a voting district on the island.
Remember, your nominator, seconder and assenters must be on the voters list for the area you are nominated in.
What could you gain from becoming a Commissioner?
We asked our existing Board members how they have found the role of Commissioner over the last 5 years:
“Being a Commissioner is a bit like doing Jury duty, with an unusual mixture of people trying to come together in agreement, as representatives of society”.
“I found it rewarding and stimulating. Enjoying my time spent and the debates and activities involved. I have learnt considerably about areas of the Island and Manx concerns. Overall, I found the whole experience both Cathartic and inspiring”.
“I did not have a clear understanding of the scope of activity that involved Commissioners and was pleased by the variety”.
“It’s not boring. You get to meet interesting people and see what they are doing to develop the Island.”
“Being a Commissioner can make a difference to your local area and the services you receive by your involvement in the decisions made by the Board.”
The next Local Authority General Election will be held on Thursday, July 22nd 2021.
Alternatively, you may contact any of the existing Commissioners to talk about their experiences of being a board member. Contact details for all the current Commissioners can be found on our website: https://www.braddan.im/commissioners
The first of our green waste collections for Braddan residents will be held this Saturday, 24 April 2021 at Braddan School.
Kinrade Bros. Haulage Ltd will park a refuse vehicle in the car park at the school from 11.30am to 1.30pm to collect green waste which will be taken away for composting.
You may be asked to provide proof of address, so please bring something with you.
We will accept:
The collections will continue every two weeks over the summer, with the final date being 28 August.
For more information please contact the Commissioners’ Office.
To assist with the ease of collection can you please place your glass bottles in one container, mixed tin cans & plastic in another and lastly any paper and cardboard in a third.
We are anticipating significant quantities of material set out for collection, so would ask for your continued patience if your collection is delayed, please be assured that our contractor do their best to to catch up as quickly as possible.